Saturday, March 1, 2014

a lesson from my mission

 ah. i miss it.

Sometimes on your mission, you get to a point where you just have NO progressing investigators. You have a few people or maybe even just one person, that you continue to visit because you can't stand the thought of having nothing, and even though they aren't progressing towards covenants, you love them so much, and are so afraid of having nothing to do, that you continue to visit them. A theory that I lived by very strongly as a missionary, is the power that comes from having the faith to drop those people (that's mission lingo for discontinuing seeing them.) 
Now this may seem harsh to some, but I feel like there is a faith necessary in having nothing, a clear slate, and saying "Lord, fill my time, fill my heart, let me find new avenues to glorify you." 
I recently realized that at times in our lives we need to exercise this same principle and this same faith. Sometimes the avenues we are pursuing are just not progressing, whether it be a career, a friendship, or a lifestyle. Sometimes we need to "drop" something or someone not because we don't love them, but because we need to have faith that the Lord will use us more effectively elsewhere at that time. I have 100% faith that this is a true principle. The Lord loves us, he wants us to progress, he wants us to in a sense "find new investigators" however that may relate to our personal lives. It's my testimony that he WILL fill our lives with meaning and purpose as we exercise faith in him and "drop" those things/people who aren't allowing us to become better, it doesn't always mean forever, sometimes it's just until they're ready for us.

here's to your new beginning:)

3 comments:

  1. Brittany, I loved reading this so much! I just got back from my mission and have been contemplating my life now as a released missionary. It's hard to find purpose sometimes, but something I learned and you helped me to remember was that with faith ALL things are possible. God wants us to feel joy and fulfillment in our lives, but we have to be the ones to change our circumstances.
    Thank you for your words of wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mindy:) being home from the mission is really hard, I think I find the greatest joy in finding ways to help others, so I'm glad you enjoyed this post! you rock and i don't even know you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Thank you so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete