Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Night at the Crossroads

So I almost decided to write a cynical, sarcastic post about the crappy poetry I'm stuck listening to in the crossroads (BYUI's cafateria, but really just a giant meat market w/ dude bros jumping from group to group and 19 year old girls dressed to the nines trying to get a ring on it)....but then I decided that I should really keep my feelings to myself:)

Instead I thought I'd share a cool experience I had today. Today, today, today. Today I decided to be a stronger person than I've been. I have been praying the past 2 days to serve someone. I always pray to serve someone, but today I prayed to SEE the opportunity to serve someone, because I realize that the Lord's probably placing opportunities in my path but I'm so preoccupied that I don't recognize it. My opportunity was so simple.....but it warmed my heart!
 All it really was was that I made an added effort to hold the elevator for a boy who was about 10 feet behind me walking into the building. It was a brief thought that came into my head "britt hold the door for that guy"...."okay okay I'll do that"...and that was it, he hustled in frantically, saw me holding the door, and bursts out "Thank you so much, how did you know to hold the door for me, what a blessing!" he then proceeded to ask me 12 questions about myself, including if my hair is naturally blonde.. haha...really?
But in all truthfulness, I had no idea that would be such a blessing to this guy...I was a blessing to someone....the Lord let me be a blessing for  someone today, and it felt great! I miss thinking of others all day everyday. Thinking about yourself gets daunting. Heavenly Father blesses us by letting us bless others. I've been impacted greatly lately by the example of President Monson...he never passes up a promptings, he is always serving, always blessing lives. I doubt he allowed himself excuses of "I am sad" or "things in my life aren't perfect so i can't help others." The Lord doesn't want us to wait for things to be perfect....they never will be...I never will be, but I want to try my best.
So pray to serve someone yeah? Just pray in general...praying has saved my life lately....

peace and charity (bc there's way too much talk about mushy love crap these days:)


2 comments:

  1. You are the cutest! And a spectacular writer I might add.... I'm so impressed with you!!! thanks for the sweet reminder. You've got a heart of gold ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!! You are AWESOMEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete